mailRe: r22857 - /trunk/user_functions/relax_disp.py

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on April 29, 2014 - 13:59:
Hi Troels,

Please see below for some comments.  Note that most of this is because
this user function can have other purposes other than just speeding up
the grid search.  This is essentially a custom value.set user
function, and as such it should be kept general.

Before I get to the user function text, I would also recommend
simplifying the user function name.  Instead of
relax_disp.set_grid_r20_from_min_r2eff, I would recommend
relax_disp.r20_from_min_r2eff.  This is shorter and removes the 'grid'
reference.

+uf.title = "Set the initial guess for R20 in the grid search, to that of
the minimum R2eff points."

Maybe a better text would be "Set the R20 parameter values to that of
the minimum R2eff value.".

+uf.title_short = "Speed-up grid search."

Here it would be better as "Set R20 from the minimum R2eff.".

+    desc = "A flag which if set to True will cause the R20 Values to be
overwritten if they already exist."

"Value" should be in lower case.

+uf.desc[-1].add_paragraph("Instead of making the grid search find initial
values of the R20 parameter, the minimum for the R2eff points are used
instead. For a 2 field cpmg experiment with model CR72, that would drop the
number of uniform grid search points from gridNr^5 to gridNr^3. For
standard 21 grid Nr, it would make the grid search 441 times faster.")

I would add a paragraph before this which is essentially the title but
in many more words.  For example how is magnetic field strength,
experiment type, offset, etc. handled.  Then I would modify the old
paragraph to say that this user function can be used to speed up a
custom grid search.  I would also expand some text to be more formal,
descriptive, etc:

- "For a 2 field cpmg" -> "For example for a two field CPMG",
- "gridNr^5" -> "5D",
- "gridNr^3" -> "3D",
- "grid Nr" -> "grid increments per dimension".

You could also add text as to how this will be used together with the
grid_search user function to obtain the speed up.