mailRe: Releasing minfx, bmrblib and pystarlib to pypi?

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 20, 2014 - 13:42:
Hi,

I have thought of this, but decided against it.  The reasons were:

- Minfx and bmrblib are bundled with relax, so most relax users will
never need it.
- It's easy enough to run 'python setup.py install' when needed.  This
also has more flexibility when you have multiple Python installations,
for example if you install your own Python as a user.
- It was better to keep these packages 'quite'.

The last point was the most important.  Accepting new developers and
performing code reviews and project management is a big effort!  And
these two packages work just fine with relax, and are tested in the
relax test suite, so I saw no benefit in widely advertising these.
Minfx was written back when my coding skills were not so advanced, so
there could be a lot of clean ups, code refactorisations, and speed
ups performed.  And bmrblib could very, very easily be expanded to
cover the whole of the BMRB database definitions (if you look at the
code, I had started an automated way to do this from the BMRB docs).
However as neither package have their own test suites, this
infrastructure would have to be added first.  If a developer were to
come along and be interested in advancing
https://gna.org/projects/minfx/ or https://gna.org/projects/bmrblib/,
accepted the challenge of adding the required test suite
infrastructure, and taking on the task of being the release manager,
then they could add these to PyPI.  But because I wanted less work, I
decided against PyPI at the time.