mailRe: Confidence in Model-free output

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on January 21, 2016 - 09:48:
Hi Jonas,

Welcome to the relax mailing lists!  From the output, I guess you are
using the automated model-free analysis protocol (the one I developed
and published).  Or are you running a custom analysis protocol?  Such
results are not uncommon and are usually an indication of a bigger
problem.  Often this comes back to inadequate temperature calibration
and/or control - have a close look at this text I wrote on the
subject:

    http://www.nmr-relax.com/manual/Temperature_control_and_calibration.html

Other times it can be due to a bias in the fitting of relaxation
curves.  Which software did you use to calculate the relaxation rates
from the base data?  Another reason could be the failure of the
diffusion tensor optimisation due to the specific tensor not being an
adequate description of reality.  This happens if you have large scale
internal motions, partial dimerisation (even with 5-10%), long
flexible tails, etc.  A good test is to use the local_tm global model,
which is strangely absent from the above list of global models.  The
local_tm global model will always be too noisy and give some terrible
outlier values, but in general it is a good test for the diffusion
tensor approximation.  As there is no global diffusion assumed, the
local tm values can adapt to the local diffusion contribution.  The
single value may be a good enough approximate average value for the
spread of 3, 5, 10 or more global diffusion coefficients.  Therefore
if you see the same trend in S2 values in the local_tm models as you
do in the oblate spheroid, then you know that the trend is real.
Whether that real trend is due to the protein system or due to bad
input data is another question.  Hopefully this helps.