mailRe: [bug #6503] Uncaught nan in xh_vect

Posted by Chris MacRaild on August 04, 2006 - 17:46:
On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 00:08 +1000, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
2) there is an external module called fpconst which supplies similar
functionality. This relies on the python struct module to compare the
underlying bit sequence with the IEEE 754 standards. It seems to work
well on my machine, and I think most platforms should be compliant at
that level, but I'm not sure and I have limited opportunity to test
other platforms. On the up side the module is relatively small, and
could be incorporated into relax, so it need not be a dependency (its
under the Apache Licence).

Would this module be useful for NaNs generated by the current code?
Does it replace the inbuilt Python NaNs with it's own NaNs?  The
module's web page seems to be down at the moment.

fpconst won't override the inbuilt Python NaNs, but on the two machines
I have briefly tested it on, fpconst.isNaN() gives the right answer with
Python NaNs. So it will be useful in that it allows us to test output
from the current code for the pressence of NaNs. It does not provide a
complete and coherent set of NaN behaviour, though. This we might get
from Numpy, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Chris