mailRe: Redesign of the relax data model: 3. Molecules, residues, and spins

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 11, 2006 - 17:21:
On 10/11/06, Chris MacRaild <c.a.macraild@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 18:57 +1000, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> 3.5.3  The 'spin' user function class
>
> This new user function class could contain functions such as:
>
> spin.add()
> spin.copy()    # Copy the spin info (name and num) from another pipe.
> spin.delete()
> spin.display()
> spin.read()
> spin.sort()
> spin.write()
>
> These functions could be applied selectively using the 'mol_num',
> 'mol_name', 'res_num', or 'res_name' arguments.

One extension to the current model which might have value is the idea of
a spin group. This would describe a group of spins for which relaxation
has been measured which are believed to undergo the same relaxation
causing dynamic process. This idea is less relevant to classic
model-free analyses due to the timescales involved, but might be more
important for studying ns motions by extended MF or slower motions by
relaxation-dispersion type approaches. To make it clear what I mean,
imagine a single peptide bond where you have both NH and Ca relaxation
and where there is evidence that ns motions are involved (or
equivalently a nucleobase with several relaxation probes). You might
hypothesise that the motion involved is coordinated motion of a peptide
plane which is essentially rigid on this timescale. I seems to me that
relax could be well placed to formulate and test such an hypothesis.
Mathematically, it implies that the spectral densities for the
respective spins are related by Wigner rotation terms that relate the
relative orientation of the respective DD and CSA vectors. Of course all
of the requisite maths would need to be coded before this was of any
use, but the spin-group concept would be a first step.

Brilliant idea! I would like to extend the concept even further though. What about the idea of linking two parameters of the same type? This would be equivalent to sharing the same parameter. For example in residues 3, 4, and 5 in a protein (or multiple spins in a single RNA base) could all share the same ts parameter? Or the same S2s parameter? This is something I have thought of before. Have a look at the Tjandra et al., 1995 paper from Eur. J. Biochem - in that paper all residues of calmodulin were optimised with a single, hence global, ts value.

Given its lack of immediate applications in relax, it might be deemed a
complication too far, but its worth considering in the context of a big
re-write.

This idea is outside of the scope of the proposed data model change - it's implementation should not effect on the data structures. The linking concept may require additional data structures, but the core molecule-residue-spin system as well as overhaul of the 'run' system and renaming it to the 'pipe' system should not be affected. But please don't slow down with the ideas! Someone could, at the end of these discussions, collect all the ideas which are outside of the scope of the proposal and write a very short summary of each idea linking back to the mail archive post in which the idea was first raised. This could (or should I say should) be sent to relax-devel to be archived for future reference/implementation.