mailRe: unit tests vs... the current test_suite

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on October 30, 2006 - 12:58:
Andrew Perry wrote:

Hopefully not too off topic, but this little article really hammered home how useful unit tests could be for relax.

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=142

I noticed there has been a bit of discussion, but what is the current state/plans for unit tests in relax ?

I think the standard python unittest framework would be a bit cleaner than the style of the current test_suite ... but thats coming from someone who hasn't attempted to write any tests under the existing relax test_suite yet.

Despite the initial work involved, a robust set of unittests would probably prevent breakage in unexpected places in the future, and provide extra confidence that the results calculated from relax are very reliable.

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Unit tests have been on my radar as well as I have used them under java. As ususal having done things the wrong way round I am now implementing unit tests for the ieee float functions. Here is my suggestion:

0. use unittest, it is a tried and tested methodology
1. if you have a file fred.py it should be accompanied by a unit test files test_fred.py with the correct main function
2. if you have test data to go with fred.py it should be in a directory test_data_fred
3. modify the relax test suite to scan the source directories for files with the correct names and apply the tests...

as a general note you ought to write the unit tests first ;-) before coding if you want to stick to the 'true philosophy' of this methodology

so the idea is
1. suggest feature
2. define relevant unit tests
3. code unit tests
4. code feature
5. check / correct / add more unit tests as needed

regards
gary
Dr Gary Thompson
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology,
University of Leeds, Astbury Building,
Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK Tel. +44-113-3433024
email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fax +44-113-2331407