mailRe: r2863 - /branches/test_suite/test_suite/unit_tests/unit_test_runner.py

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on November 21, 2006 - 17:07:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

On 11/22/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> Are you having a play with the unittest GUI?

I was just having a go to see that it worked. The version I was using,
however, is under the wrong license (I stole it from zope I think) so it
was just a test of the code/concept and will most probably disappear again.

> If so, is it any good?
> Pity it's in Tk though,

Why the problem with tk? Tk is nice (mostly)  and is present in all
python distributions (note the prejudice, I am an old tcl/tk programmer)

There's nothing wrong with Tk.  Wish was the first widget set I played
with, and I do think it is very useful for certain applications.  Tk
does need to be modernised though, it desperately needs font
antialiasing!  And the Tk widgets could do with a lot of polish.

Have you looked at version 8.5 a lot of this is going in there... beta testing is supposed to be fairly soon ;-)

http://wiki.tcl.tk/12753 Themed Tk (a.k.a. Ttk <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14796> in the core). TIP#248 [81 <http://tip.tcl.tk/248>]

http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html
*Antialiased text under X11.* This allows Tk to fit in much better with modern Linux desktops; the lack of antialiased fonts has been a frequent criticism recently. Based on Xft. (don't lnow about mac or windows)

regards
gary

I ported an early version of relax (0.2 which was called 'mf' back
then) to use the Gtk widget set.  I called it 'xmf' but unfortunately
I never added it to the relax repository.  It was pretty pathetic -
not destroying flexibility while implementing a GUI is a very hard
job.  Qt support in Python was and still is light years ahead of Tk,
Gtk, etc.  Implementing a complex GUI for relax would significantly
benefit from using the advanced Qt bindings.  For 3D opengl work, for
example assembling data pipes (when runs are renamed to pipes) to
create the equivalent of a script, the stable Qt bindings would be
better for sanity of the developers :)

Edward

.

Dr Gary Thompson
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology,
University of Leeds, Astbury Building,
Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK             Tel. +44-113-3433024
email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   Fax  +44-113-2331407