mailrelax's web infrastructure and nmr-relax.com email addresses.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on November 23, 2006 - 16:14:
Hi,

I mentioned a while back that relax's web infrastructure was playing
up (https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-10/msg00146.html,
Well, I've now dumped Zoneedit (http://zoneedit.com/).  This should
have no visible affect on the web address http://nmr-relax.com.  The
reason for this post is to explain the web infrastructure underlying
the nmr-relax.com domain name for future reference (or if I one day I
move on).

On the 18th Oct 2005, I bought the nmr-relax.com domain name from
GoDaddy.com using the customer number 6739577.  If in the future other
domains are bought for relax, for example nmr-relax.org, etc., then
this is the account that these should be bought through.  I have
registered the nmr-relax.com domain name for 5 years, and have locked
the domain name.

The first thing I did after registering the domain name was to setup a
Zoneedit account for free DNS and free email forwarding.  I set up the
email address (edward at nmr-relax dot com) to forward to (edward dot
dauvergne at gmail dot com).  After a year with Zoneedit, the
infrastructure has had problems with dead DNS servers about three
times (there could have been many more).  There were times when emails
sent to (edward at nmr-relax dot com) would take up to 24 hours to be
delivered, creating the bizarre result that I would receive a message
in a thread many hours before the message it responded to (there were
two mail servers).  There have even been lost email messages.
Therefore I have permanently dumped Zoneedit.

I have shifted nmr-relax.com so that is now parked back at GoDaddy.
It is using the GoDaddy DNS servers which appear much more reliable
(since these come with the paided for domain name).  I have also set
up mail forwarding through GoDaddy, and the email response times are
orders of magnitude faster than before.  All the other information
about nmr-relax.com can be found in the DNS records (using the
programs 'whois', 'host', etc.).  If you search the web you'll see
that many people complain about Zoneedit's services whereas many
people talk about how reliable GoDaddy's services are.

With the purchase of nmr-relax.com, GoDaddy allows for 100 email
forwards.  I'll reserve these forwards for the relax committers, or
any volunteer listed in the COMMITTERS file, with one address per
person.  Therefore if you are in this list and would like the email
address (andrew at nmr-relax dot com), (chris at nmr-relax dot com),
(gary at nmr-relax dot com), or anything else that's reasonable, I can
set this up for you.  This address will last for as long as
nmr-relax.com is owned by the relax project, which will hopefully be
forever.  It can be set to forward to which ever address you wish, and
changed at any time in the future if you move or your email address
changes.