mailRe: r3237 - in /branches/multi_processor: multi/mpi4py_processor.py relax

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on March 20, 2007 - 11:07:
On 3/20/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick point, it would be good to either start a new thread for
> these types of questions or changing the subject field (unless you use
> the Gmail web interface like I am at the moment).  People may miss
> important discussions with such scary subject lines!
>

> On 3/20/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ed
>> d this is a good enough point to tell you how to run things and what to
>> install for the mpi version i am testing with
>>
>> I have installed mpipy and lam
>

> Are both, together with mpi4py, essential for MPI operation?

yes lam is an mpi implementation and mpi4py is the interface code
between the c world of mpi and the python world

Got it. I installed lam-runtime and mpi4py but I could not install mpipy as that didn't exist as a package. I have run the example you gave in the parent of this thread but I used the command:

mpirun-lam -np 6 python relax --multi mpi4py test_multi1.py

The program 'mpirun' doesn't exist on my computer.  The output was:

ImportError: relaxation curve fitting is unavailible, try compiling the C modules.

ImportError: relaxation curve fitting is unavailible, try compiling
the C modules.

ImportError: relaxation curve fitting is unavailible, try compiling
the C modules.

ImportError: relaxation curve fitting is unavailible, try compiling
the C modules.

ImportError: relaxation curve fitting is unavailible, try compiling
the C modules.

ImportError: relaxation curve fitting is unavailible, try compiling
the C modules.

                                    relax repository checkout

                         Protein dynamics by NMR relaxation data analysis

                            Copyright (C) 2001-2006 Edward d'Auvergne

This is free software which you are welcome to modify and redistribute
under the conditions of the
GNU General Public License (GPL).  This program, including all
modules, is licensed under the GPL
and comes with absolutely no warranty.  For details type 'GPL'.
Assistance in using this program
can be accessed by typing 'help'.

script = 'test_multi1.py'
import multi
cmd  =  multi.mpi4py_processor.Get_name_command()
self.relax.processor.run_command(cmd)
1 pc172-31-2-63.biochem.unimelb.edu.au-29691
2 pc172-31-2-63.biochem.unimelb.edu.au-29692
3 pc172-31-2-63.biochem.unimelb.edu.au-29693
4 pc172-31-2-63.biochem.unimelb.edu.au-29694
5 pc172-31-2-63.biochem.unimelb.edu.au-29695

Should I have something else installed for the 'mpirun' program?

> As MPI
> is solely for those who are very serious and have access to clusters,

not true! mpi can run over ssh as well. For example lam has an ssh
backend and this is what i am using for testing on my computer!

MPI can be used for grid computing but that is not what it is designed for and hence isn't optimal. If I get the grid computing code working again then you should be able to run relax on you posix system and then get all those idle Windows boxes to do all your calculations for you! Anyway, I would hope that most people doing a model-free analysis are very serious ;)

> the user should be able handle installing these dependencies (or at
> least be able to get someone to install it for them).

lam or mpich is often available in a linux distributions software
repository e.g
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=lam-devel lists rpms
for mandriva and a variety of other platforms. I chose lam to play with
because it is the best performing library on our cluster, but have also
used mpich. mpi4py has instructions  on building and seetting up a
variety of  configurations

Do you think the relax MPI implementation will have lam as a dependency or would mpich work equally as well (i.e. the end user could install one or the other)? It would be useful to define the exact dependencies with links to their webpages.

>> lam should  be available in your linux distribution ??? ;-) run
>

> I'm using Mandriva so I would assume that it is within it's 'contrib'
> repositories.  You are talking about http://www.lam-mpi.org/ aren't
> you?  As OpenMPI (http://www.open-mpi.org/) seems to be the future of
> that project, wouldn't this be the better option?  It's more likely to
> be supported in future linux distros.

see above it shouldn't matter which mpi distribution you choose they all
have almost  identical apis and mpi4py deals with that

So we could list multiple MPI software packages in the relax manual as dependencies and let the user choose?

>> mpi4py came from http://www.python.org/pypi/mpi4py (there is an mpi4py
>> website but it is out of date, however, mpi4py is under recent
>> development)
>

> Do you think mpi4py 0.4 or below will be stable enough?  Are there
> alternatives?

I would use mpi4py 0.4.0rc4 from the cheese shop. This is that I have
developed with and it seems to work _well___
<http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/mpi4py/0.4.0rc4>

That's what I'm using. There should be a stable version out by the time the MPI code is operation and incorporated back into the main line.

P.S. I'll get to the rest in another post.