mailRe: Command name as seen with 'top'

Posted by Sebastien Morin on September 03, 2007 - 16:38:
Hi,

I didn't know about the c option in top. It's nice.

Also, the modifications proposed by Gary would work, but are not what we would like to integrate in relax as a permanent modification...

So there doesn't seem to exist an easy, simple and not hack-like solution...  I thought this could have been quite easy with just one line tp add to the relax code... Quite naive...

Thanks anyway guys !

Cheers

Séb  :)

Gary Thompson wrote:

I'm not sure if this is possible.  However in certain versions of top
you can type 'c' and you will then get the full command line version
of the process.  For example:

  PID  PPID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR SWAP S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
 5780  6092 edward    17   0 86240  11m 3016  72m R   95  0.6
0:01.90 python /home/edward/relax/relax-1.2/relax full_analysis.py

Apart from this, I don't know what else can be done.

Hi
I guess the problem here is to be able to spot the relax program amongst
all the other python instances on you system (this can a real pain if
you use gnome as the panel is all python based ;-)) Ah just read the
message properly this is what you want!

so here is a solution but not one we would want to apply to the relax
distribution I guess ;-)

1. change to the relax directory
2. create a link to python which is in you path ln -s /usr/bin/python
$HOME/bin/relax-python
3. edit the top of the relax python file at the top of the relax python
distribution to point to the symbolic link you just created
4. happiness... (?):

garyt    17117 18898  0 09:09 pts/1    00:00:00 relax-python ./relax

now there are other methods to do this under unix / linux at a much more
hacky level (basically if you change the string argv[0] this will change
the name of you application) However, they appear to be horribly messy
in all the versions i have seen so far (cf
http://davyd.livejournal.com/166352.html)

regards
gary