mailRe: well what a suprise r5969 - /branches/multi_processor_merge/

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on April 24, 2008 - 16:13:
Hi,

You beat me to the mark.  I was going to send an email about this new
branch, but the internet here has been on and off all day.  You may
not have noticed, but the 1.3 line is, from the perspective of a
model-free analysis, almost functional again.  Most of the test-suite
is passing again.  I'm in the process of thinking of how to create a
new type of results file, it should store the entire contents of a
data pipe, and then once this file can be written and read, model-free
analysis will be back.

So in preparation of this, I was looking at how easy it will be to
merge your branch into the 1.3 line.  Unfortunately this won't be easy
as we have nearly re-written every line of code in the program (well,
a slight exaggeration, but everything that hasn't been touched will be
once that last code is converted).  From the 1.3.0 release, we have
added revisions r3025 to 5973.  Almost 3000 revisions out of 6000!
That's probably why it's taken so long to get to this point.  So, I
tried picking up all revisions in your branch and applying it to this
branch and the result was nasty.  I think each revision will need to
be ported one by one with the 'svn merge' command and the conflicts
manually resolved.  In some cases, 'svn merge' will be useless and the
commit diff will have to be taken line by line.  There is a bit of
unnecessary code as well because of the 1.3 line re-write.  And the
commenting out of the old threading code is not necessary as I have
already deleted it all.

As for the 1.2 line, I would prefer not to touch that one.  It's nice
and stable and free of any important bugs.  The 1.3 line should be
sufficient as the full_analysis.py script will be soon working again.
I was planing on having this script functional and then releasing
1.3.1.  Then merge in the multi processor code and release 1.3.2.  But
if you wish to do this merging yourself, I'd be happy to release relax
1.3.1 with the multi processor capabilities.  Otherwise, I can try to
port your code over once 1.3.1 is released.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Gary Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 > Author: bugman
 > Date: Thu Apr 24 11:25:37 2008
 > New Revision: 5969

 > Log:
 > Created a branch for the porting of the multi_processor branch into the
current 1.3 line code base.

 > Added:
 >     branches/multi_processor_merge/
 >       - copied from r5968, 1.3/

 Hi ed

 I was just about to e-mail you to say that i am out of purdah,  we
 submitted our structure 2 days ago... ;-)

 do you want me to have a look at the current code base and see how to
 fit it?

 also do we want to do  a 1.2 release....

 regards
 gary

 > .

 Dr Gary Thompson
 Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology,
 University of Leeds, Astbury Building,
 Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK             Tel. +44-113-3433024
 email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   Fax  +44-113-2331407