mailRe: AICc

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 09, 2009 - 14:50:
Cheers!

2009/10/9 Sébastien Morin <sebastien.morin.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Ed,

I totally agree with your small modifications.

I will make the changes to the code right away.

Regards,

Séb

Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
2009/10/9 Sébastien Morin <sebastien.morin.1@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Ed,

I think reporting the cause of the error (maybe stating 'n=...' and
'k=...' and telling the dataset is too small), in addition to mentioning
the use of AIC as an alternative might give a better RelaxError message
and help the user...

Would something like what follows be adequate to replace line 76 of
'generic_fns/model_selection.py', in functionaicc() ?

===========
if n > (k+1):
   return chi2 + 2.0*k + 2.0*k*(k + 1.0) / (n - k - 1.0)
elif n == (k+1):
   raise RelaxError("The dataset is too small for the model selected:
n=" + n + " and k=" + k + ". This situation creates a fatal division by
0 since:\nAICc = chi2 + 2.0*k + 2.0*k*(k + 1.0) / (n - k -
1.0).\n\nPlease try AIC model selection instead.")

I really like this idea.  I would slightly reword and reformat this
though (eg 'model selected' is not technically correct), so maybe:

    raise RelaxError("The size of the dataset, n=%s, is too small for
this model of size k=%s.  This situation causes a fatal division by
zero as:\nAICc = chi2 + 2k + 2k*(k + 1) / (n - k - 1).\n\nPlease use
AIC model selection instead." % (n, k))

elif n < (k+1):
   raise RelaxError("The dataset is too small for the model selected:
n=" + n + " and k=" + k + ". This situation gives a negative (nonsense)
AICc score since:\nAICc = chi2 + 2.0*k + 2.0*k*(k + 1.0) / (n - k -
1.0).\n\nPlease try AIC model selection instead.")

Also for this error:

    raise RelaxError("The size of the dataset, n=%s, is too small for
this model of size k=%s.  This situation produces a negative, and
hence nonsense, AICc score as:\nAICc = chi2 + 2k + 2k*(k + 1) / (n - k
- 1).\n\nPlease use AIC model selection instead." % (n, k))

Just some small wording changes.  But I like the idea of 2 separate
errors to clearly explain what went wrong to the user!  Would you like
to make these changes to the code?

===========

What do you think ?

Best regards,

Séb

The idea was that the use of single field strength data would cause a
non-fatal RelaxWarning at the point of optimisation (the grid search,
mimimisation, and maybe again during model selection).  The fatal
RelaxError would occur only if AICc is being used as, although this is
designed for small data sets, such a ridiculously small data set was
never invisaged.  Even 2 field strength data is probably smaller than
what the AICc authors were designing for.  In this case, AIC model
selection would be better and could be mentioned in the RelaxError
message.