mail[sr #3045] Support for pooled standard deviation for: Peak heights with partially replicated spectra

Posted by Troels E. Linnet on June 19, 2013 - 14:50:

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None

Details:

According to the manual,
http://www.nmr-relax.com/manual/spectrum_error_analysis.html,
the variance for the replicated datasets are averaged, and used as the
variance for single replicated spectrum.

This is a very reasonable assumption, but I wonder if a pooled standard
deviation should be used instead.

If we look in the definition of IUPAC Gold Book:
http://goldbook.iupac.org/P04758.html

"""
Results from various series of measurements can be combined in the following
way to give a pooled relative standard deviation $s_{r,p}$:

$$
s_{r,p}=\sqrt{\frac{\sum(n_i-1)s_{r,i}^2}{\sum n_i -1}} =
\sqrt{\frac{\sum(n_i-1)s_i^2x_i^{-2}}{\sum n_i -1}}
$$
"""

It is not an easy subject, and the discussion can be "hot": See for example
these gals and gils: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=268377

So my question is, is the use of average of variances the right way to
estimate the variance for single recorded data point?
And should another way be implemented?

  <http://gna.org/support/?3045>