mailRe: Presenting the relax wiki at: http://wiki.nmr-relax.com , finally at the right name place

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on July 19, 2013 - 13:59:
Hi !

According to:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL
this setup is not recommended.
http://wiki.example.org/Page_title (not recommended!)

But the wiki now accepts:
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/index.php/TITLE

This was setup in LocalSettings.php
$wgScriptPath = "";
$wgScript = "{$wgScriptPath}/index.php";
$wgRedirectScript = "{$wgScriptPath}/redirect.php";
$wgArticlePath = "{$wgScript}/$1";
$wgUsePathInfo = false;
$wgScriptExtension = ".php";

Best
Troels

Troels Emtekær Linnet

2013/7/19 Edward d'Auvergne <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

This is great!  I have run a few tests and it looks like everything
now works perfectly.  I can edit pages with no problems now.  One
thing I would add for the DNS setup information is that I originally
set up an A record to point to the wiki IP address of 184.168.221.25.
This was the URL forward which did not work with editing, user
creation, etc.  I also tested the A record of wiki2 pointing to
217.116.232.203, but this failed and has been removed.

Now that the wiki is fully functional and I have the backup scripts
running, we just need to refine the MediaWiki settings.  Oh, if you
are an accepted relax developer and would like to set up cronjobs for
backing up the wiki, just write a private email to Troels and myself
to get the secret login details.  One example is that I think that
short URLs would be very useful
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL).  So you should see
the following URL changes:

http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/index.php?title=Main_Page ->
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials ->
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Category:Tutorials
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/index.php?title=Tutorial_for_adding_relaxation_dispersion_models_to_relax
->
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Tutorial_for_adding_relaxation_dispersion_models_to_relax
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/index.php?title=Parameter_error_analysis ->
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Parameter_error_analysis

This is the setup used for Wikipedia and lots of other wikis and is
easier on the user.  It is also better for linking purposes.  A major
benefit would be with search engines.  The shortened URLs will make it
much more friendly for users to find the wiki pages on the web.  I am
using the Google Webmaster Tools as well as Google Analytics to help
optimise the relax webpages, and I can see that no pages have been
indexed yet despite me sending a direct request to index
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com and all nested links (back when this URL was
working but there were DNS problems).  I don't know if this is because
of the long URLs, because of the original DNS problems or because of
some other problem.  If we set up the shortened URLs, I will use
Webmaster Tools to get Google to fetch a number of pages on the wiki,
and to also submit them to the Google index.  This will make the wiki
pages appear in Google searches (and then often in other search
engines) sooner.