mailRe: Scaling efficiency tests

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on September 13, 2013 - 17:50:
Hi Edward.

So, this means timings will be printed out in the log-file, if you make a
normal analysis?

It's not only for the test-suite?

Best
Troels

Troels Emtekær Linnet

2013/9/13 Edward d'Auvergne <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
This turns on the profile Python module
(http://docs.python.org/2/library/profile.html).  This will print out
a very accurate timings for the code which is independent of what is
running on the system.  You cannot time the relax calculations more
accurately than this.  It doesn't matter if another process uses 50%
of the CPUs in one test and not in another.  For speed, relax uses the
'cProfile' module in Python 2 and 'profile' in Python 3.  The print
out will be quite long, but at the very top of the profile print out
you will see the total time in seconds printed.

On a different note, the profiling numbers can tell you where your
calculations are slowest.  I use it a lot to increase the speed of the
calculations.  If you use it properly, the speed ups can be huge.  I
have also used it to identify any user functions which take up large
amounts of time in the test suite.  This way I have managed to shave
off huge amounts of time for running the full test suite.  There are
still many, many optimisations possible, and these printouts show
exactly what is taking up all the time.