mailRe: [sr #3110] Spins from PDB

Posted by Stefano Luciano Ciurli on February 11, 2014 - 13:48:
Hi Edward,

in our case, the analysis performed with Bruker Dynamics Center does provide
an overall rotational correlation time consistent with the mass of the
homodimer in solution, and the proportions of the calculated ellipsoidal
diffusion tensor are also consistent with the structure of the homodimer.

Here are a couple of references in which the authors applied the model-free
treatment to a homodimeric protein, apparently without worrying too much:
Biochemistry 2000, 39, 9108-9118
Biochemistry 2003, 42, 1890-1899

Any feedback is most welcome.
Regards,
Stefano

For the homodimer problem, you will probably have to research that
one.  The problem here is that you are measuring different data each
monomer but that this data is averaged via the NMR spectrum.  If you
apply the analysis to the full dimer structure, you are essentially
saying that the non-averaged data for each monomer is identical to the
averaged data.  If the averaged data should not be used for the
monomer, it would be just as bad using it on the dimer.  From memory
there are papers investigating this.  And from even more distant
memory, I think I remember someone invoking symmetry arguments -
though I don't remember if this was in a paper, a discussion at a
conference, etc, or even what the conclusions of those symmetry
arguments were.  I would be interested to hear if you know more about
this problem and what the solution is.  I'm sorry I cannot help with
this relatively rare problem.  The key however will be the symmetries
of the ellipsoidal diffusion tensor.

On 10 February 2014 15:56, Stefano Luciano Ciurli