mail[task #7801] Design interface between the user and the functional code is to perform comprehensive checks of input

Posted by Troels E. Linnet on May 22, 2014 - 11:06:
Follow-up Comment #1, task #7801 (project relax):

RelaxError:  Two magnetic fields detected but data only present for one.

This could be a single function added to
specific_analyses.relax_disp.checks which is called at the start of
the minimise() API method (and any other user functions that require
it).  As users discover other invalid data combinations - which they
most definitely will - then we just add more and more check_*()
functions to raise RelaxErrors.  This is what happens in all the other
specific analyses.  Rather than handling all possible ways a user can
fit data into relax, which would require huge amounts of complex code,
we simply raise RelaxErrors telling the user what is wrong with their
data input.  This involves only a few 10 line max check_*() functions.
 In this case, the user can then decide to delete the metadata, not
set it up, or load the required data.

  <http://gna.org/task/?7801>