mailRe: [task #7860] When dx_map is issued, create a parameter file which maps parameters to chi2 value.

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on October 10, 2014 - 15:30:
So, when creating a dx map, you get a nice image.

If a text file where to provide the mapping of chi2 values from the
parameters, you would get a better feeling with the parameters.

So, this i just a possibility to examine the dx_map creation.

This is what I am after.

Best
Troels

Then I would suggest something much more powerful!  The dx.map user
function is currently only for 3 dimensions or parameters, so it is
rather useless for looking for a global minimum if the parameter
values of the other dimensions are not set to the values of that
unknown minimum!

I would therefore suggest a much, much more powerful user function
that will be very quick for you to implement.  It could be called
maybe the minimise.grid_map or minimise.map_space user function.  You
can create this by simple duplication of the minimise.grid_search user
function code, but just add a new argument for an output text file.
Then you set up your target function and loop over the parameter space
yourself (by first creating a massive parameter grid) and then calling
the target function and placing the returned chi2 value into the text
file.  As your dimensions are not limited - though you could extend it
so you only use a subset of parameters just as in the dx.map user
function - you will be able to see much more of the space.  Is this
what you would be after?

On 10 October 2014 14:50, Troels Emtekær Linnet <tlinnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>