mailRe: Scientific software "relax" at cloud.sagemath.com ?

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on November 24, 2015 - 10:26:
Hi Edward.

You are probably right.

What you refer to is the latest wiki page I am "playing with".
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Install_relax_cloud.sagemath.com#Checkout_relax_and_build

Here I have a "free" account, and William Stein has for free granted me
"Network" access to a
test project. This is so I can use the internet to checkout relax with
subversion.

I can install relax on the cloud.sagemath.com.

And the systemtests are now running in the terminal.

So, it seems that this is an easy possible way to run relax in the terminal.

It simply works.

But it seems that you try to hit "the big nail", and I only try to figure
out if there is some way to let users do some initial analysis.

I still find it interesting to allow for an online possibility, like
http://sherekhan.bionmr.org/

With a decent tutorial, a researcher can get relax running an analysis fast.
Just to get convinced to do a proper install at home or at a cluster.

Best
Troels

Hi Troels,

I'll respond to this message here on the relax-devel mailing list,
before it gets too far.  I think that the SageMath servers are far
from ideal for running relax.  Such 'cloud' servers, or others you can
'rent' from internet service providers, are not designed for serious
number crunching.  The ideal would be something like WeNMR
(https://www.wenmr.eu/).  I.e. to get relax into a funded grant system
to run on real number crunching hardware, with a supercomputer cluster
running relax instances (and maybe other NMR calculation software such
as NMRPipe, Dyana/Cyana, XPLOR-NIH, ARIA, CCPN, etc.).  When you are
looking at days or weeks of calculation time for a full model-free
analysis, or 2-6 months for the new frame order analysis - all on the
fastest hardware out there - for this you really have to set up a
dedicated number crunching system.  You also have to consider options
that will allow for disconnecting and drop outs to allow the user to
log back in.  In any case, funding is required to pay for the server
system, and for that a grant needs to be applied for (or joined onto).
And in the granting systems, it would be easier to get funding to buy
the full supercomputing infrastructure than to buy a yearly
subscription to someone else's cloud servers.  This is why I have
always leaned towards web application frameworks, such as Django, Ruby
on Rails, etc., as we'd then have full control to take advantage of
the number crunching abilities of a cluster.  Such technology would
also give us a greater ability to implement the user functions, a spin
viewer, and other complex elements.

Also, I wouldn't recommend you spend too much time on this, at least
for now, as I see the complete implementation of a relax web UI as
requiring a time frame of at least half a year!  From experience with
the GUI and implementing the other UIs, I think this would be a tight
minimal timeframe to have a finished and fully functional product by.
The web UI would need to expose the full power of relax, including all
user functions, rather than being a crippled interface only allowing
for certain types of auto-analysis.  The prompt UI, script UI,
graphical UI and web UI all need to be on the same level.  A better
way to do this would be to include it in the funding proposal, to hire
someone for a year to code a fully functional web UI.  Unfortunately
I'm in no position at the moment to apply for such funding, but this
will hopefully change in the future.