mailRe: relax in Windows

Posted by Chris MacRaild on September 01, 2006 - 13:25:

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 20:47 +1000, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

The 'os' module is supposed to be platform independent but there are a
few things which are UNIX only.  'kill' is one such object.  There are
other that are likely to cause new ImportError messages and my guess
is the next error will be 'devnull'.  After deleting the 'kill, '
text, do you experience new ImportErrors?  Unfortunately I can't test
for that.

The devnull import in io.py is in a try statement, and the ImportError
appears to be appropriately dealt with, so I don't think that will cause
you any problems.

I greped the scripts looking for more importing features and I got:

processes.py:                     from os import kill, popen3, system

relax:                            from os import F_OK, access, getpid,
putenv

io.py:                            from os import devnull

io.py:                            from os import F_OK, access, makedirs,
remove, stat

sconstruct:                       from os import F_OK, access, chdir,
getcwd, lstat, path, remove, rmdir, sep, symlink, system, walk

generic_fns/dasha.py:             from os import F_OK, access, chdir,
getcwd, system

generic_fns/grace.py:             from os import system

generic_fns/molmol.py:            from os import popen

generic_fns/palmer.py:            from os import F_OK, P_WAIT, access,
chdir, chmod, getcwd, listdir, remove, spawnlp, system

generic_fns/pdb.py:               from os import F_OK, access

generic_fns/selection.py:         from os import F_OK, access

prompt/interpreter.py:            from os import F_OK, access

sample_scripts/full_analysis.py:  from os import getcwd, listdir

For me it is kind of weird the phython did not complain about the
importing from os in the file relax (the second grep entry).

The only problematic imports that I can see are 'kill' and 'devnull'.
The rest should all work under Windows.  'symlink' may be an issue as
well but that is located in the 'sconstruct' script which isn't part
of the program.

A couple of others will cause problems:

The os.lstat import in sconstruct laso won't work under windows. It
might be possible to replace it with os.stat, but I'm not sure if this
will work. In any case the sconstruct script is only required for
compiling the curve-fitting code, so is entirely optional.

os.spawnlp in palmer.py will fail under windows. A simple os.spawnl will
work as a replacement, but this requires an exact path to Modelfree
(spawnlp uses PATH to find the executable, spawnl doesn't). Again, this
functionality is fairly peripheral - it is just an interface with
Palmer's Modelfree software. Simply removing the offending import should
work unless you particularly want to work with Modelfree.

Chris

I hope this helps,

Edward

P.S.  Don't forget to hit 'reply to all' when responding so that the
relax-users mailing list is on the CC line.