mailtwo questions: hybrid analysis and convergence problems

Posted by Douglas Kojetin on June 24, 2007 - 19:13:
Hi All,

I have two separate but related questions. I am using relax 1.2 (svn version 3301). I have relaxation data collected at two fields -- 500 and 600 MHz. However, I have data for 9 additional residues at 600 MHz that were unresolved at 500 MHz.

(1) The protein I am studying has two domains, with considerable interactions between them, connected by a flexible linker. When all data (domains + linker) was included in the calculations, the full_analysis.py protocol picked local_tm for the AIC selection of the diffusion tensor. I would like to analyze my data using a hybrid model: (a) the two domains together (using the same diffusion tensor) and (b) the flexible linker using a separate diffusion tensor (likely local_tm). My guess is that a prolate or oblate tensor will be selected for the domains when analyzed without data from the linker region (the quadric_diffusion program from Art Palmer suggests an axially symmetric tensor is a good approximation).

Can anyone provide an example of a script where relax is used to analyze a hybrid model, or briefly outline the steps? For example, should I run a local_tm optimization using all residues, then unselect the flexible linker residues in the unresolved file (as specified in the full_analysis.py script) and continue the optimization of the other tensors (sphere, prolate, oblate and ellipsoid)?

(2) I am currently running the full_analysis.py protocol, without the data for the linker region. The optimization of the prolate tensor is taking much longer than the other tensors for this calculation (currently on round_30), as well as the prolate calculation using all data including the linker region (it converged in 14 rounds). The differences in the parameters between rounds are very small:

"""
#####################
# Convergence tests #
#####################

Chi-squared test:
    chi2 (k-1): 785.88714033105236
    chi2 (k):   785.88714033128417
    The chi-squared value has not converged.

Identical model-free models test:
    The model-free models have converged.

Identical parameter test:
    Parameter:   tm
    Value (k-1): 6.794068350295769e-09
    Value (k):   6.7940683502957698e-09
    The diffusion parameters have not converged.

    Parameter:   Da
    Value (k-1): 6337661.7164024841
    Value (k):   6337661.7164041474
    The diffusion parameters have not converged.

    Parameter:   theta
    Value (k-1): 1.6904048161417038
    Value (k):   1.6904048161417222
    The diffusion parameters have not converged.

    Parameter:   phi
    Value (k-1): 0.30710640562938446
    Value (k):   0.30710640562950142
    The diffusion parameters have not converged.

"""

relax does not report a problem for a specific residue, as was reported in the following post (https://mail.gna.org/public/relax- users/2006-12/msg00002.html). Could this be a result of having data at only one field for the 9 residues?

Thanks in advance,

Doug