mailExtremely long optimization times

Posted by Sebastien Morin on September 04, 2007 - 14:45:
Hi all,

I am using the full_analysis.py script with data a three magnetic fields.

After a first complete cycle (going through the final optimization), I
realized that a few residues had extremely high chi-squared values (>
1000) no matter the diffusion model or model-free model chosen...

So I removed those residues (7 out of 222) and started the full_analysis
protocole again.

However, the optimization times are now extremely long and I should get
the final results in weeks...

Here are the available times (for local_tm, sphere and ellipsoid) :

Diffusion_model    Round      Time-before_N=222  X2
Time-now_N=215  X2
===============    =====      =================  =======
==============  =======
local_tm           ---          12h30              45949
14h30            5802    OK, X2 much smaller

sphere             init         ---              1154338        ---
      249255
                   1             2h30              65654        36h00
        10303    Long, but X2 much smaller
                   2             2h30              65654      > 30h00

ellipsoid          init         ---               753535
---            177764
                   1             4h00              64592      >
67h00                    ??
                   2             2h30              64592
not_there_yet

Is it possible that the algorithms get stuck somewhere during the
optimization..?

I thought that removing badly fit residues would, on the contrary, speed
up calculations...

Thanks for ideas !

Sébastien  :)

--