mailRe: input data precision

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 25, 2007 - 10:30:
Hi,

The importance of the precision is an important, debatable concept
which I'm sure there will be many opinions about.  It really boils
down to where precision matters and where does it not matter.  If you
are using curvefit, though, you have no choice in precision as the
program sees its output as the 'final' result.  For me, I follow just
one basic rule.  This was an idea that was instilled within my young
mind many, many years ago by the advice of an old and wise person I
once knew (my old school teacher).  That important concept was that
one must never round-off numbers until the very end.

So my philosophy with this type of analysis is that the start is the
NMR machine, and the end is the numbers placed in the manuscript
(although some may argue that the start is the DNA).  Hence you'll see
this throughout relax, that the numbers in all results files are never
truncated.  This allows one to follow the important concept from above
in all cases, even if you do something completely different with
relax.  Round-off error is best avoided at all costs.  I hope this
helps.