mailRe: PDB orientation

Posted by Sebastien Morin on November 09, 2007 - 16:20:
Hi Ed,

Your comments are interesting... but nevertheless trouble me...

I talked with the guy who makes the MD simulation with my protein. He noticed that some NH vectors indeed have motions well defined by a cone which is fine if we want to analyze things with the model-free approach. However, some NH vectors have motions more like a stretched cone (which is not surprising at all, since motions inside a protein are restricted by the available space as long as with the position of charges, etc), More worrying are some motions seen as two separate cones, which is then bad, since an average position doesn't have any meaning and can even be impossible due to steric or charge problems...

Ok. The reason I would not use a crystallographic structure is that maybe some NH vectors could be badly oriented because of packing modifications in the crystal (at interfaces)... An NMR structure may be better, but impossible for a lot of people, like me...

But what does the individual NH vector orientation really affect ? Will a different NH vector orientation give rise to a different selected model or will it only affect model parameters ? Also, will some bad NH vector orientations (let's say less than 10% bad orientations overall) affect the global diffusion parameters ? In other words, will those possibly bad orientations produce artifacts, like false Rex or modified tm, for example ?

Another question... The NH vectors are described by two coordinates (for H and N) in the PDB files, but transformed to angles within relax or any program alike (Am I right ?). Can a user directly input a set of angles rather than coordinates ? I ask this because I'd like to try to input average orientation which were computed to give a set of angles rather than a modified PDB file... Are the coordinates necessary to analyze the global diffusion (to assess the shape of the protein) ? Are the angles only used for local motions analysis ?

Thanks for the tips / opinions / comments / anything !

Cheers

Séb  :)

I have to say that I am definitely not an expert in this subject.
When I have this issue I just use Molmol to add the protons, which I
would assume is based on ideal geometry.  For any simulation I would
guess that the proton will move around in and out of the peptide
plane.  So, if you can assume that this motion is accurately simulated
which, if done correctly, these fast motions should be then maybe the
average position would be the best for model-free analysis.

Be careful though because this is a whole can of worms you could be
opening here!  Model-free analysis (as well as many other theories in
the field) assumes in its theory that you have a defined bond vector
orientation but the analysis implies motion which in turn means the
vector moves again in turn changing the results of the analysis.  Note
the circular loop of dependence and the lack of theory addressing this
- this really is not an issue for the faint hearted!