mailRe: Temperature calibration T2

Posted by Sébastien Morin on July 22, 2011 - 17:37:
Hi Maddy,

The consistency testing analysis is more a qualitative one than a quantitative one. That means that the decision for inclusion or not of a dataset is helped with the test, but that no real cutoff has been proposed.

In my experience, I would say that a J(0) ratio of more or less than 5% off (>1.05 or <0.95) should point to problems. However, there could be cases where a proteins has widespread slow motions affecting R2 globally...

Another point is that these tests should be used to judge on the quality of an entire dataset, rather than quality of data for a single residue. This is because the use of consistency tests was developed to remove the influence of systematic bias of datasets. Hence, if a dataset average J(0) ratio is outside, let's say, the limits discussed above, then it should potentially be entirely removed, unless only a subset of residues, for example with slow motions (i.e. with Rex) cause this skewed average.

If you wish, you could send me the results of your analysis, potentially in the form of both a correlation plot of J(0) values for different fields, as well as an histogram plot of the J(0) ratios (please see figures 1 and 2 of Morin & Gagné (2009) Simple tests for the validation of multiple field spin relaxation data. Journal of biomolecular NMR, 45: 361–372).

All the best,

Séb :)