mailRe: Anisotropic Diffusion coefficients

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on February 03, 2012 - 12:41:
Hi Hugh,

Welcome to the relax mailing lists!  The numbers you quote don't seem
too surprising.  The Dr value is very close to zero which means that
the rhombicity is very low.  The Da value is hard to judge without
seeing the corresponding tm or Diso value.  You could try the
following to obtain a more detailed description of the diffusion
tensor.  In relax, assuming you are in the directory of the final
results file, type:

relax> state.load('results.bz2')
relax> diffusion_tensor.display()

For the ellipsoid tensor, you can directly compare the Dx, Dy, and Dz
values as these are the rotational diffusion coefficients in the three
principle directions.  For the spheroid tensors, you might find the
Dratio parameter more meaningful.  The display for these tensors will
also give you Dpar and Dper which are equivalent to the Dx, Dy, and Dz
eigenvalues and hence can be directly compared.  Note that the purpose
of the results file is primarily to store the tensor data at full
machine precision rather than to be read (even though the information
is presented in a readable form).  The diffusion_tensor.display user
function is designed to present the tensor in a more understandable
form.  I hope this helps.