mailRe: relax 1.3.13/14 oddities

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on April 10, 2012 - 22:38:
Hi,

I've created a special task for attaching files (logs, errors,
screenshots, etc) to at https://gna.org/task/index.php?7581.  More
below:

I do not see the problem you are seeing, it's unfortunately not
reproducible on my system.  I have a fully maximised relax window.  Do
you see the same if you run:

$ /sw/bin/python2.7 /sw/bin/relax --gui --debug

This should set the window size to the default of 1000x600 pixels.
Without the --debug flag, I use the wx.MAXIMIZE style for the main
window (as well as a call to wx.Frame.Maximize() for the problematic
MS Windows version), so this should be maximised twice on the Mac (the
native Mac widgets ignore both of these!).

Edward,
  Using...

/sw/bin/python2.7 /sw/bin/relax --gui --debug

does produce the smaller window which is the correct size for the
surrounding window frame. If I remove the --debug, I see to get the
same 1000x600 pixel of content drawn into a much larger window frame.
I've attached a screen capture of the window as a tiff file.

This looks quite familiar.  From memory, this was how it used to look
on Mac OS X with wxPython with native widgets, but a call to
wx.Refresh() in relax fixed this.  For example on my test system with
the fink install, I see the following screenshot
https://gna.org/support/download.php?file_id=15551 (attached to the
task with more info at https://gna.org/task/index.php?7581#comment1).
For the native widget set, see the screenshot at
http://www.nmr-relax.com/screenshots.html.  We will have to work out
why the screen is not refreshing on your machine, allowing the widgets
to layout properly and fill the screen.  Does minimisation or drastic
window resizing (very small to full size) cause anything to change?
What if you click on File->New analysis and select one of the
analyses, clicking through the analysis wizard, does this change the
layout?  Do you see the same with the View->Spin viewer window?  I
really wish I could reproduce this so I can randomly add and test
wx.Refresh() and wx.Layout() commands to see it if fixes the problem.
Debugging blindly is impossible here :S

I do however see a little frameless window in the top left hand corner
with the relax Ulysses butterfly icon in it.  I'm guessing this is the
failure of the dock icon described below, though this needs testing.

Are you always running relax on Mac OS X remotely? What happens if you
log directly into the Mac where the fink relax package is installed and
execute...

/sw/bin/python2.7 /sw/bin/relax --gui

I have removed this little window from the 1.3 main line.  This was
the Mac dock icon, turning into a funny looking window under wxGTK +
X.  Funnily, a right click brought up the Mac dock menu!  Anyway, it
is now gone.

As for Mac hardware, unfortunately I have no physical access to a Mac.
 I wish I did have a special development machine, as that would save
me a lot of time and would result in much better Mac support.
Ideally, a Lion system with Snow Leopard and Leopard (server editions)
running in VMs (each with the Xcode+official Python module packages, a
custom Python+module framework build, and the fink install), and with
re-installation capabilities would be the best set up to provide Mac
support.  But unfortunately I don't think this will ever happen.  I
also cannot install a Mac system on my computer in a VM as that is not
legally possible.

There are a few strange behaviours with this wxPython version
(2.8.12.1) from fink.  The first is that the relax menu bar is not
integrated into the standard Mac toolbar at the top of the screen but
is a normal GTK+ menubar in addition to the Mac toolbar.  The second
is that the relax icon in the dock is not set on the fink version, it
should be the relax butterfly icon.  Lastly, the fink version is
running via X.

This should be expected as we are building relax against the X version of
wxgtk. I don't believe either fink or macports has a native Mac interface
gtk package (as far as I know everything goes through X11).

That's ok, I'll make sure relax runs in this set up.  Tomorrow I might
put relax's GUI through it's paces with the fink install
(http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/relax-py27 but updated to
relax 1.3.14, wxPython 2.8.12.1) and see what else fails.  Superficial
testing on my machine is looking good though.