mailRe: [rx fitting] Dealing with intensities of decayed signals

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on May 24, 2012 - 09:01:
Hi Martin,

From my experience, the best way to handle this is as follows:

- For the first spectrum in the time series, shift the peak list to
the tops of the peaks (i.e. 'pc' in Sparky).
- Copy this 1st spectrum list onto all spectra, shifting the peaks to
the top/centre.
- When the peak disappears into the noise, leave it at its current
position and do not type 'pc' or equivalent.
- Once all spectra are shifted, calculate an average peak list.
- Copy this average peak list onto fresh copies of all spectra.
- Measure peak heights using this averaged peak list.

This methodology will be discussed in a paper which is in preparation.
 This is a special technique that I personally came up with (big
citation hint ;) which is designed to minimise the white-noise bias
talked about in the Viles et al., 2001 paper, though not solved there.
 As the noise often decreases with the decrease in total spectral
power, using the tops of the peaks means that you are actually
measuring the real peak height plus noise in all cases.  As this
additional noise contribution may not be constant across spectra, you
often end up with a double exponential in the measured data.  The
technique above eliminates this as you then measure the peak height
+/- noise, rather than just + noise.  It also nicely solves your
problem.  Where the peaks disappear, you then are measuring the pure
baseplane noise.  This is ok, as these white-noise data points centred
at zero will help with your subsequent exponential fit in relax.