mailRe: relax GUI

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on August 08, 2012 - 13:40:
Hi Venkat,

I have seen the log file attached to your bug report
(https://gna.org/bugs/?19987).  There seems to be two separate issues
here.  The first is the two failures in the system tests.  As you can
probably see, this is for Art Palmer's Modelfree4 program.  From the
lower precision of the chi-squared values from your installed version,
I would assume that you have a version much older than the current
(though still very old) 4.20 version which includes a number of
patches I sent to Art to fix bugs and to compile with GCC
(http://biochemistry.hs.columbia.edu/labs/palmer/software/modelfree.html).
 You can ignore these two failures.

The second problem is in the GUI tests.  I think these messages
clearly identify the problem.  The important error message is the very
first:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/programs/x86_64-linux/relax/2.1.0/test_suite/gui_tests/base_classes.py",
line 198, in setUp
    self.app.gui = Main(parent=None, id=-1, title="")
  File "/programs/x86_64-linux/relax/2.1.0/gui/relax_gui.py", line
162, in __init__
    self.add_start_screen()
  File "/programs/x86_64-linux/relax/2.1.0/gui/relax_gui.py", line
259, in add_start_screen
    image = wx.StaticBitmap(self, -1,
bitmap_setup(paths.IMAGE_PATH+'ulysses_shadowless_400x168.png'))
  File "/programs/x86_64-linux/relax/2.1.0/gui/misc.py", line 133, in
bitmap_setup
    bitmap.SetMaskColour(None)
  File
"/programs/x86_64-linux/python/2.7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_gdi.py",
line 632, in SetMaskColour
    return _gdi_.Bitmap_SetMaskColour(*args, **kwargs)
PyAssertionError: C++ assertion "Ok()" failed at
./src/gtk/colour.cpp(146) in Blue(): invalid colour

The second is just an error caused by the failure of the first test -
nothing to worry about.  You can then see that these two error
messages are alternatively repeated for all the GUI tests.  The key is
the failure of the setting of the mask
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mask_%28computing%29#Image_masks) for
the bitmap image.  This clearly indicates that your wxPython install
is broken (for your sys admin - I'm guessing because of the linking to
the GTK+ libraries).  You might be able to test this with the wxPython
demos for this wxPython version.  Try the following and see if you
observe error messages:

$ /programs/x86_64-linux/python/2.7.2/bin/python run.py GenericButtons.py
$ /programs/x86_64-linux/python/2.7.2/bin/python run.py StaticBitmap.py
$ /programs/x86_64-linux/python/2.7.2/bin/python run.py ComboCtrl.py

These should all run fine.  Note you need to be in the wx_demo
directory containing the run.py and other files.  Could you copy and
paste the output of these tests.  Also, I just noticed that your
information from:

$ relax --info

was accidentally not sent to the mailing lists.  Could you copy and
paste that output as well for reference.  Remember to click on
'reply-to-all' rather than just 'reply' when responding.  Other
information that would be useful is how is this wxPython installed?
Is it installed from the package management system, is it downloaded
binaries, or is it self compiled?  Is it also installed locally or on
an NFS share, for example?

P.S.  To summarize, here is a check list of needed information:

1. wx_demo tests output.
2. relax --info output.
3. wxPython install info.