mailRe: relax GUI

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on September 04, 2012 - 21:04:
Hi Ben,

My suggestion to switch to the newer wxPython version was because of
Venkat's message archived at:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.nmr.relax.user/1251

As he reported that the execution of the GenericButtons.py demo script with

$ python run.py GenericButtons.py

failed, and this is one of 3 demos that I identified as best being
able to show the wxPython errors which he reported when trying to run
relax, I assumed that wxPython is broken.  These errors could also be
due to a version mismatch between the demo and the installed wxPython,
as the demo failure message has nothing to do with bitmap images.
Does that command now run on the machine Venkat was using?  If so, the
GUI may now be functional.  From the error seen
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.nmr.relax.user/1248), the
problem or bug is clearly in the file:

/programs/x86_64-linux/python/2.7.2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_gdi.py

specifically line 632 in the SetMaskColour function.  From the error
message, I would guess that the problem lies in one of the linked
libraries used to handle the PNG file format.  relax uses this image
type for all buttons with icons (as well as all graphics in the GUI).
Or it could be that the alpha channel used for transparency is broken
in this specific wxPython version, as that is what relax is setting
with the line "bitmap.SetMaskColour(None)" when the error occurs.

Anyway, this error really has not been seen by anyone before and this
has been extensively tested on many, many operating systems and many
wxPython versions.  In all my deep and long debugging of this problem,
I can safely say with 100% certainty that the bug is not in relax but
in the installed wxPython code.  I would highly recommend checking
those 3 demos again (listed at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.nmr.relax.user/1248) and if
these fail, then trying wxPython 2.9.