mailTemperature calibration: methanol- vs protein-based,

Posted by Martin Ballaschk on January 07, 2013 - 11:05:
Hi relax-users, dear Edward,

we use methanol temperature calibration to make sure the relaxation
measurements are taking place at the same temperature. Interestingly, I see
significantly diverting signals in my HSQCs / TROSYs which I believe are due
to temperature differences. I don't see diverging signals between T1, T2 and
Hetero-NOE measurements, so at least the data at one field seem to be
consistent in any case.

One strategy to overcome this was to
* record a HSQC/TROSY at different temperatures at the different
spectrometers
  (conveniently by using Brukers multi_zgvt),
* reference the two sets of spectra to a residue signal which seems to be at
  exactly the same position regardless of temperature
* select the temperature where the NH spectra are nearly 100% identical

What is your experience with calibration strategies? Do you see any diverging
NH signals at different magnets?

Cheers and a happy new year,
Martin