mailRe: Too long computational time

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on July 22, 2014 - 16:38:
Hi Olena,

The problem you are seeing might be related to the use of the virtual
machine (VM) - these can sometimes be much slower than the hardware
they are running on (VirtualBox comes to mind here).  For slow
model-free calculations, I would highly recommend you try running on a
cluster or multi-core system using OpenMPI via Gary Thompson's
multi-processor framework in relax
(http://www.nmr-relax.com/manual/multi_processor_framework.html).  For
this you can set everything up in the GUI, save the relax state, and
then copy and modify the
sample_scripts/model_free/dauvergne_protocol.py script to load that
state, deleting all of the other user functions.  Otherwise you could
run relax directly on MS Windows.

From the current information, it's a bit difficult to work out if this
is a bug or just a very complex optimisation problem coupled with a
slow VM.  What do you see in the relax controller window?  Is anything
changing?  What is the current data pipe and global model?  And what
were the last messages?  It might be useful to copy and paste those.
Are the messages changing?  Could you also run 'relax -i' and copy and
paste that output, as that might help me work out if it is a GUI
freezing bug.