mailRe: unit tests vs... the current test_suite

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 30, 2006 - 18:21:
> One thing we could do is set up the test suite into the three-tiered
> system - unit tests, functional or system tests, and regression tests
> - that I discussed in the 3rd paragraph of

After though I think you need two levels functional tests and unit tests (as I discuss elsewhere regression tests are just classes of fucntional and uni tests)

If you can catch a regression in any of the categories of software tests, then I suppose there is no 'real' category called 'regression tests'.

> The other tests
> could manually implement an analogous methodology to decrease the
> amount of stuff printed out.  There's absolutely no point printing
> stuff, apart from a summary, if the test passes.  This will probably
> involve IO redirection (of stdout and stderr) to catch and store the
> crap from each test.

I don't see why we an'c just use the same framework...

If this is possible, then we can use parts or all of the framework. The less work, the better.

> If the integration of unit tests are completed before the redesign,
> one unit test could be added as each function is updated.

You may want o add some contratural unit tests for higher level
functions as you redesigne it's lower level functions....

I've never written unit tests before, this is completely new to me. Hopefully there's no overlap between unit and function (which I think is the same as system) tests.