mailRe: PyMOL is now supported.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on November 02, 2006 - 08:58:
> An important question is how would you define 'auto'?  A number of
> algorithms would be required.  Would you loop over all atoms of all
> residues and pick the atom furthest away from the centre of mass?

Probably the easiest would be to scale relative to the molecular mass,
though a maximum dimension as you suggest, or a radius of gyration might
be more robust. I can do a bit of playing to see what works. Tensor
seems to do a good job of it, so it cant be too hard.

There are functions within the file 'generic_fns/pdb.py' which would help with the molecular mass. The function 'self.center_of_mass()' loops over all the atoms while the function 'self.atomic_mass()' will give you the atomic mass (of unlabelled atoms, 1H, 12C, 14N, etc.). The scale argument value could be set to 'mass' to select this behaviour.

> How
> would you handle multi-domain systems?  If there are multiple tensors,
> then they will have to be all scaled by the same amount.  Or what
> about complexes?

For these rarer and more complicated systems, the user might have to
take some responsibility for getting a good result.

Having a default rotational diffusion rate of 5.55e6 s^-1 per Angstrom (scale = 1.8e-6) which can then be adjusted by hand should alleviate these problems. As long as the diffusion rate per Angstrom is included in figure legends, comparisons between publications should be a lot easier.