mailRe: Managing the 'test_suite' branch.

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on November 02, 2006 - 09:42:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

Gary,

Would you like to manage the 'test_suite' branch during its,
hopefully, short lifetime?  This involves porting all revisions
applied to the 1.3 line (e.g. Chris' r2719).  This can be done in
bulk, i.e. port multiple revisions into one commit.  To manage a
branch you need to keep track of the revisions in the parent branch,
and no revision must be ported twice to the branch (otherwise there'll
be a mess to sort out).  This will probably involve porting the
changes to the 'tensor_pdb' branch which will appear as one massive
revision within the 1.3 line one I merge it back in.

The other components to managing the branch would be to direct its
development through this list, and finally merge it back into the 1.3
line once the unit test and the full test suite is in a descent state.

Edward

Yes I can have a go. Time is quite tight here at the moment so if things are not going fast enough don't be afraid to yank it, back I wont be embarrased ;-)

To round things out

1. are you saying that I should be able to do one big bang merge at somepoint soon from the 1.3 branch? If so what is (or how do i find) the first revision I have to start from and how do i tell which revisions are relevant? (i.e. what is the latest revision to the 1.3 branch
2. I guess avoiding multiple merges is just a case of noting the latest revision merged...
3. I have corrected a bug in the float.py code within the test_suite branch while sorting out the unit tests. How do I back port to 1.3 and 1.2...

Thanks in advance
regards
gary