mailRe: r2863 - /branches/test_suite/test_suite/unit_tests/unit_test_runner.py

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on November 21, 2006 - 17:44:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

It's about time they overhauled Tk.  I haven't been keeping current
with Tcl/Tk development, I thought that that had stalled.  Version 8.5
can't come soon enough!  Unfortunately at http://wiki.tcl.tk/2237 they
say that Tk3D only runs on Unix/Linux, and I don't know how capable it
is.

Edward

the tk3d you maybe thinking of is a way of rendering widgets so they look 3d?? (I had that confusion when I fiorst looked at some of the tk docs)
there is also http://public.kitware.com/VTK/what-is-vtk.php which is extremely capable

regards
gary

On 11/22/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> On 11/22/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
>>
>> > Are you having a play with the unittest GUI?
>>

>> I was just having a go to see that it worked. The version I was using,
>> however, is under the wrong license (I stole it from zope I think) so it
>> was just a test of the code/concept and will most probably disappear
>> again.
>>
>> > If so, is it any good?
>> > Pity it's in Tk though,
>>
>> Why the problem with tk? Tk is nice (mostly) and is present in all
>> python distributions (note the prejudice, I am an old tcl/tk programmer)
>

> There's nothing wrong with Tk. Wish was the first widget set I played
> with, and I do think it is very useful for certain applications. Tk
> does need to be modernised though, it desperately needs font
> antialiasing! And the Tk widgets could do with a lot of polish.

Have you looked at version 8.5 a lot of this is going in there... beta
testing is supposed to be fairly soon ;-)

http://wiki.tcl.tk/12753
Themed Tk (a.k.a. Ttk <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14796> in the core). TIP#248
[81 <http://tip.tcl.tk/248>]

http://www.markroseman.com/tcl/guide85.html
*Antialiased text under X11.* This allows Tk to fit in much better with
modern Linux desktops; the lack of antialiased fonts has been a frequent
criticism recently. Based on Xft. (don't lnow about mac or windows)

regards
gary

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------- Dr Gary Thompson Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, Astbury Building, Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK Tel. +44-113-3433024 email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fax +44-113-2331407 -------------------------------------------------------------------

.