mailRe: r3237 - in /branches/multi_processor: multi/mpi4py_processor.py relax

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on March 20, 2007 - 15:18:
On 3/21/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> My personal experience with the coding of the grid computing code, I
> would assume that there are a number of differences.  For example the
> algorithm relax currently uses to handle computers of different
> speeds.

This should not make a difference you just divide more finely and weight
the size of the job by computer (you can even send off the finer grained
task one at a time and then send new ones as tasks are completed... the
same way as you do in the thread code)

The model-free problem places a lower bound on the minimum granularity size. That limit is the optimisation instance. For almost all minimisation techniques (the grid search excluded) parallelisation is not possible. Say you have a calculation which would take 20 min on a 3 GHz machine but it is sent to a 500 MHz old clunker in the basement. These are serious performance issues in a grid that add up - they need to be handled properly and not solely by making the calculations more fine grained. And a couple of those old machines in addition to the fast ones could significantly speed up model-free analysis.

> Grid computing is designed for a heterogeneous environment
> whereas MPI is not.  I'm not saying one is superior to the other but
> that they have different applications in different computing
> environments.

mpi can cope with a hetrogeneous environment as explained above

Not well though. And a likely scenario - a Windows user turning off their machine when they go home rather than just logging out - is not something MPI is designed for. It is a tool which can be fitted into these situations, but in this case it isn't the best tool for the job. Grid computing is the best tool. In the situation of a roughly homogeneous fault-free environment or a cluster, grid computing is not the best tool, MPI is.