mailRe: r3241 - in /branches/multi_processor: maths_fns/mf.py multi/mpi4py_processor.py

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on March 27, 2007 - 18:28:
On 3/28/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gary, why have you changed the 'maths_fns/mf.py' file?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edward

Hi ed this is a local fix for my own sanity that I checked in by
mistake. I am still working out how to revert it ;-) i guess I will have
to check out an older revision of the file over it and recommit it?

With Subversion you can simply revert that revision for a single file.

However it does throw up a couple of questions (if there is iterest I
will add these to a new thread)

1. should we have a width limit? It is quite common to have a convention
of the  maximum width that source code runs to in a program so as to aid
legibility(especially for functions such as maths_fns.Mf which has a
huge parameter list). is this something we should adopt?

Almost all modern text editors, word processors, or development environments have word wrap. Therefore there is no maximum source code width in relax. A maximum width in Python code is an artificial constraint and some lines need to be long. I have to say that I personally can't stand maximum widths after my experiences in the land of FORTRAN :)

2. not all of the arguments seem to be documented for this function

I didn't think any were :) This is old, highly optimised, highly debugged code. That was long before I documented arguments in the function docstring.