mailr3241 - in /branches/multi_processor: maths_fns/mf.py multi/mpi4py_processor.py

Posted by gary thompson on March 27, 2007 - 20:48:
From: gary thompson <garyt.and.sarahb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mar 27, 2007 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: r3241 - in /branches/multi_processor: maths_fns/mf.py
multi/mpi4py_processor.py
To: Edward d'Auvergne <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 3/27/07, Edward d'Auvergne <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/28/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Gary, why have you changed the 'maths_fns/mf.py' file?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Edward
> >

> Hi ed this is a local fix for my own sanity that I checked in by
> mistake. I am still working out how to revert it ;-) i guess I will have
> to check out an older revision of the file over it and recommit it?

With Subversion you can simply revert that revision for a single file.

> However it does throw up a couple of questions (if there is iterest I > will add these to a new thread) > > 1. should we have a width limit? It is quite common to have a convention > of the maximum width that source code runs to in a program so as to aid > legibility(especially for functions such as maths_fns.Mf which has a > huge parameter list). is this something we should adopt?

Almost all modern text editors, word processors, or development
environments have word wrap.

well this isn't entirely true for example eclipse and pydev as far as I know don't have any wrapping built in. The problem is that text editors mostly don't wrap in the right place which is why many people rely on convenrions

Therefore there is no maximum source
code width in relax.  A maximum width in Python code is an artificial
constraint and some lines need to be long.  I have to say that I
personally can't stand maximum widths after my experiences in the land
of FORTRAN :)

now fortran (upto 77) is a different story the constrainst really were painful there and especially all the stuff with where lines began comments started and continuation characters are put I have felt that pain and it is not good

> 2. not all of the arguments seem to be documented for this function

I didn't think any were :)  This is old, highly optimised, highly
debugged code.  That was long before I documented arguments in the
function docstring.

ah the past! when life was simpler ;-)

regards gary