mailRe: Abstraction of the code in the 'multi/commands.py' file of the 'multi_processor' branch.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on March 30, 2007 - 10:00:
I think having the model-free specific code all in one spot in
'specific_fns/model_free/' is the better approach.  Then, with
complete and clear documentation using docstrings and comments in the
code, someone developing a new type of data analysis not yet supported
by relax will be able to write the necessary code in their own spot in
'specific_fns' to take advantage of MPI.  However as the directory
'specific_fns/model_free/' doesn't exist in your branch, the classes
could possibly be added to the end of the 'specific_fns/model_free.py'
file (or maybe the file moved and renamed).

On 3/30/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I've noticed that all the model-free specific code in the 'multi'
> directory has now been moved into the single module 'multi.commands'.
> I had an idea for abstraction of that module from the dependence on
> the model-free specific analysis and was wondering what you thought
> about it.  All the classes except 'MF_minimise_command' could be made
> independent of model-free analysis simply by renaming.

Hi Ed This is done alread all the relevant base classes in processor (Result_string,Result_command,Null_result_command,Slave_command, and Memo) are independant from model_free. Commands then contains specific implimentations of these classes to carry out remote operation

Exit_commands -  exits the program created by the hooked sys.exit
Get_name_command lists all processor ids and their equivalent rank
(rank is what will be prepended to dirtibuted messages. This currently
needs a prompt command to call it
Mf_minimise_command,MF_result_command,MF_memo -these are a tighly
coupled set of commands for use with the specific_fns.model_free class.
They are also tightly coupled to the implimentation details of
specific_fns.model_free and certanly in there current form can't be
reused...

> These could
> then be used for other data analysis types in the future - exponential
> curve fitting for the relaxation rates, SRLS, or what ever else would
> like to use the code.  The model-free specific code of the
> 'MF_minimise_command' class could be shifted into the
> 'specific_fns/model_free/' directory later on (the directory exists in
> the current 1.3 line), or into the current
> 'specific_fns/model_free.py' file.  The class could also be split into
> a base class in 'multi' and derived class in 'specific_fns' for
> further abstraction.

This is indeed the case already! I guess Mf_minimise_command,MF_result_command,MF_memo could be moved into the specific.model_free module or into specific_fns.model_free_commands for example but I can't see much more generality I can add. commands was a module added for multi processor independant commands. Do people think these should be kept together or spread round the code base? (either approach is reasobale!)

regards gary