mailRe: Abstraction of the code in the 'multi/commands.py' file of the 'multi_processor' branch.

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on March 30, 2007 - 09:29:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

Gary,

I've noticed that all the model-free specific code in the 'multi'
directory has now been moved into the single module 'multi.commands'.
I had an idea for abstraction of that module from the dependence on
the model-free specific analysis and was wondering what you thought
about it. All the classes except 'MF_minimise_command' could be made
independent of model-free analysis simply by renaming.

Hi Ed
This is done alread all the relevant base classes in processor (Result_string,Result_command,Null_result_command,Slave_command, and Memo) are independant from model_free. Commands then contains specific implimentations of these classes to carry out remote operation

Exit_commands - exits the program created by the hooked sys.exit
Get_name_command lists all processor ids and their equivalent rank (rank is what will be prepended to dirtibuted messages. This currently needs a prompt command to call it
Mf_minimise_command,MF_result_command,MF_memo -these are a tighly coupled set of commands for use with the specific_fns.model_free class. They are also tightly coupled to the implimentation details of specific_fns.model_free and certanly in there current form can't be reused...

These could
then be used for other data analysis types in the future - exponential
curve fitting for the relaxation rates, SRLS, or what ever else would
like to use the code.  The model-free specific code of the
'MF_minimise_command' class could be shifted into the
'specific_fns/model_free/' directory later on (the directory exists in
the current 1.3 line), or into the current
'specific_fns/model_free.py' file.  The class could also be split into
a base class in 'multi' and derived class in 'specific_fns' for
further abstraction.

This is indeed the case already! I guess Mf_minimise_command,MF_result_command,MF_memo could be moved into the specific.model_free module or into specific_fns.model_free_commands for example but I can't see much more generality I can add. commands was a module added for multi processor independant commands. Do people think these should be kept together or spread round the code base? (either approach is reasobale!)

regards gary

This idea would keep all the model-free specific code in the directory 'specific_fns/model_free' and keep the code of the 'multi' directory sufficiently abstracted so that any type of analysis can take advantage of it.