mailRe: r3257 - /1.3/test_suite/unit_tests/unit_test_runner.py

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on April 12, 2007 - 18:47:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

On 4/12/07, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

>I think that the
>ExtendedException class would be better served with a RelaxError.  The
>class could be moved into the 'relax_errors' module and the
>'***WARNING:' part of the string dropped.  This would bring the
>exception into the standard relax system without affecting the unit
>test runner.  Gary, what do you think of the idea?

I am not so keen for several reasons.
1. This will add a dependency on relax and currently the whole
unit_test_runner framework is competely indepdendent of relax, except
for the names of directories in  search paths etc

cf lines 61-64 of unit_test_runner

import os,re,unittest,string,sys
from optparse import OptionParser
from textwrap import dedent
from copy import copy

From the point of view of independence, it makes sense to keep it separate.

2.  this exception does actually get thrown,  it is a true exception
within the spirit of the junit framework and not a warning

I was aware of this.

3. this is an error not a warning! The  part of the message with
'warning' after it is the result of the real exception which is the
syntax exception

Wouldn't the text '***WARNING' be partly confusing to the person who
receives the message?  Would they think it is a warning or an
error/exception?  Wouldn't the text 'UnitTestRunnerError: ' or
something like that be better for communicating that an error
occurred?

I will have to have a look next week, I thought I had an exception stack tace before it... we could have ***NOTE*** instead if you like

must go holiday beckons ;-) (when do you fly to germany)

regards
gary

.

Dr Gary Thompson
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology,
University of Leeds, Astbury Building,
Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK             Tel. +44-113-3433024
email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   Fax  +44-113-2331407