mailRe: Integration of the consistency_tests branch (and becoming a relax committer).

Posted by Sebastien Morin on December 14, 2007 - 20:57:
Hi again

I forgot to specify my svn version and system so that my problem with the 'svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt' command may be tracked more easily...

subversion-1.4.5

under Gentoo Linux.

My svnmerge.py script was downloaded this morning from : http://subversion.tigris.org/tools_contrib.html#svnmerge_py

Cheers

Séb  :)

Sebastien Morin wrote:
Hi Ed,

Ok, this svnmerge.py tool seems great !

Here's what I tried :

1. Move to the consistency-tests branch (line 1.2) directory (on my laptop).

2. svnmerge.py avail

3. svnmerge.py merge -r3343,3347-3349,3353-3354,3356-3358,3362,3368,3373-3374,3525-3527,3530,3534,4142-4143

4. svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

And now I'm stopped there...  The last command (step 4) outputs the following error message :

=========================
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't create directory '/var/svn/relax/db/transactions/4196-1.txn': Permission denied
=========================

I tried to run the command as root so the permissions would be fine, but didn't succeed... I also tried creating the directories and set the permissions so I can write, but didn't get any good result... Is that commit step to be done on my laptop or should I modify the command and add some URL..? This error message is strange since I wouldn't think that committing changes into a checked out program as a normal user would need to write into system directories owned by root...

I understand that steps 1-2-3 are for integrating the modifications of the 1.2 main line into my branch. Then, step 4 is to confirm these changes and modify my branch so it is now the most up-to-date version. Steps 5 and 6 (see below) are to make these changes to the repository and delete the old branch.

5. svn ci -F ~/LOG_FILE_commit_the_merge svn+ssh://semor@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.2

6. svn rm -F ~/LOG_FILE_delete svn+ssh://semor@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/branches/consistency_tests_1.2

What's wrong with the step 4 ?

Are steps 5 and 6 right ?

Sorry for asking many questions, but I wouldn't like to mess up the repository...

Cheers

Séb  :)

Welcome to the relax development team!  Because of the quality of your
contributions, and the quantity of comments in that code, the decision
was easy.  For the issue of merging and keeping branches up to date,
the documentation is a little out of date.  Please look at the
svnmerge script/program which is distributed with SVN.  This makes
life very easy.  I have already initialised svnmerge in your branch
from 1.2.  To see which revisions from the 1.2 are left to be merged,
type:

$ svnmerge avail

or for more details:

$ svnmerge avail -l | less

To merge these changes just type:

$ svnmerge merge -rxxx

replacing the xxx with the numbers (dashes, etc. included) which is
output from 'svnmerge avail'.  To commit these changes, type:

$ svn ci -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

The file 'svnmerge-commit-message.txt' will be created automatically
by the 'svnmerge merge' command.  This svnmerge approach is useful as
the commands you used applied a number of revisions twice to the
branch whereas this never happens when using svnmerge.

As for the merging back into the 1.2 line and deletion of the branch,
these are correct.  You'll need a commit message for the delete as
well.