mailBMRB NMR-STAR v3.1 file format or STAR format reader/writer (maybe using CCPN?).

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on July 31, 2008 - 12:49:
Hi,

Thank you for answering all my questions.  I think that clearly covers
most things for me to start thinking about how this can be implemented
(although I'm still unsure about how to input the bond lengths used in
the calculation of the dipolar constants).  For adding BMRB NMR-STAR
v3.1 file format reading and writing capabilities, I've now created a
branch of the relax 1.3 development line which is viewable at
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/relax/.  I think that it would be
beneficial to add, in addition to the creation of STAR files for BMRB,
reading capabilities simultaneously so that data from the BMRB can
easily be read by relax and then a new or extended analysis performed
(relax can also create input for Modelfree4 and Dasha, as well as
control these programs).

So the major difficulty in implementing this, as I see it, is the
support for generic STAR formatted files or the specific NMR-STAR v3.1
file format.  I have done extensive searches and although Python
perfectly supports XML reading and writing, I haven't been able to
find any Python packages for generic STAR format support.  Would
anyone know of a STAR or NMR-STAR 3.1 Dictionary reader/writer for
Python?  I could write a STAR format parser and writer, but that would
take a lot of time.  It would be easier if a Python package for this
could be found or recycled.  However the major issue with using a
preexisting package would be legal issues with the copyright
licencing.  Ideally the STAR format parser and writer would be
appropriately licenced, for example maybe using
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.2/license/, to allow
incorporation into the standard python modules (sitting alongside the
XML reader/writer) so that all NMR programs with a python interface,
which is quite a few nowadays, could have very easier access to the
BMRB data.

I have found PyCIFRW (http://anbf2.kek.jp/CIF/) and this also includes
PySTARRW which could be useful.  However these have lisencing issues
which clash with the open source GPL licence of relax.  So
unfortunately I can't use these files.  The only other Python STAR
reader/writer I've found is that used by in the CCPN data model
(http://www.ccpn.ac.uk/).  This has the ability to convert NMR STAR
format to the CCPN data model format through the file
'ccpnmr/ccpnmr1.0/python/ccpnmr/format/converters/NmrStarFormat.py'.
The copyright licensing should be ok, but unfortunately this is not a
generic reader/writer but something which is tightly integrated into
CCPN.  Hence it would be too difficult to incorporate this file into
relax.  I would like to have relax interface with the CCPN data model
(https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2007-11/msg00037.html), but
this would be far into the future and support for a model-free
analysis may not be fully supported by CCPN yet
(https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2007-12/msg00002.html).  One
other thing I noticed at CCPN was a comment that a STAR reader/writer
written in Python by Jurgen Doreleijers
(http://tang.bmrb.wisc.edu/~jurgen/) was incorporated into their
software.  Do you know anything about this Python module?

Once a usable STAR reader/writer is accessible by relax, then creating
and reading BMRB deposition files should be relatively straight
forward.