mailcst branch development

Posted by Petr Novak on January 21, 2009 - 15:30:
Hi,

From your emails I got an impression that there are
far more things to do/know than I expected (not only creating a
functional code). The thing is that I understand the needs for all those
but I simply might not have time to do it. My idea was that we would
create a functional version of relax with features we want to implement,
send you patch to check our changes and (dis)approve them and we would
repair errors. I don't have enough time for sending couple of emails about each change we want to make and then coding it (reason given at the end) as it involves hundreds of codelines. So I would like to ask if you can see some solution. We see these possibilities on our side:

1) we can give you the code for 1.2.10 - I think this is the worst
option, because the code needs some work anyway and it would require
conversion (btw tomorrow Pavel will link it anyway)
2) we can give you 1.3 version of the files with equations - which means
someone would have to write the code handling data to/from equations
3) we can give you 1.3 version of our implementation made without any
serious preceding discussion about every detail of implementation - this
would mean checking a rather big portion of code at one time and maybe
somewhat more correspondence about repairing errors (which is no problem
for me, I will be able to do minor thing once the major job is done)
4) after Pavel will return from Lund back to Czech republic (in
approximately half a year) I can show him what to do and he will learn
more about Python and do it whole himself. - this is very long shot so I
don't think it is good plan.
5) we can very roughly split our implementation into some logical parts and send it to relax-devel to discuss. We understand need of collaboration though again I am quite time-limited to discuss every line of every function before coding.

I would be very happy to have our analysis in the Relax project and I am definitly willing to work hard on it but currently I am very time-limited by the end of my PhD. What will be after I am done with studies I cannot predict because I don't have any post-doc position yet. It would be nice if we could find some solution.
I am very sorry for these complications.

Regards,
Petr