mailRe: [task #6847] The Bieri graphical user interface.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on January 27, 2010 - 11:24:
Sorry, I completely missed this set of patches!  :S  I will try to
apply as may as possible - manually now - and report what happens!
Ok, here are the patches and results:

set_imported_settings_patch:  (not applied)  This is not necessary as
these values will come through the GUI via the relax data store.

remove_relaxrunok_patch:  (not applied)  This code was eliminated when
I switched to using the auto_analyses.dauvergne_protocol module for
performing the automatic model-free calculation.

redirect_patch:  (applied)  I have copied and pasted this class at the
bottom of gui_bieri.execution.calc_modelfree.  Classes come after
functions in the same module (in most cases).  I also converted the
comment above your class into the class docstring!

more_imput_start_modelfree:  (applied)

model_selection_mode_patch:  (not applied)  There is nothing wrong
with the code.  But in my protocol, that was encoded into
full_analysis.py and now the automatic model-free frame, BIC model
selection cannot be used.  The user should not be allowed to change
this.  In the custom mode where they can design or reimplement a
different protocol, they can.  But in the search for the minimum
simultaneously within one space or universe (optimisation) and across
trillions of universes, AIC or equivalents must be used.

import_wx_math:  (applied)  This was not cleanly applied though.  I
alphabetically ordered the imports.

import_global_settings:  (applied, I think?!?)  I applied this
manually to the start of the start_model_free() function.  Note that
most of this will change when switched to the relax data store.  Also,
please do not use the 'global' statement.  For things like the
progress meter, you could pass in a progress object (a class instance)
that the function modifies.  This object could hold a lot of
information - user function names that could be displayed, the
model-free model currently optimised, etc.

feedback_after_calc_patch:  (applied)  What about showing something in
the progress meter instead?  This could be communicated by the
progress object described above.

create_empty_unresolved_file:  (applied)  The indentation was
incorrect!!  This should be avoided.  I've also converted the comment
to sentence form.  As a general design, you do not need to physically
create this file.  You can create a pseudo file-like object
(relax_io.DummyFileObject) and pass this into the analysis instead of
a file name.

convert_string_to_float: (applied)  This was stuck at the start of
gui_bieri.execution.calc_modelfree.  The following changes were made
though:  converttofloat was renamed to convert_to_float to match
relax' standards; ''' was replaced with """ (again a relax standard);
the single space at the start of the docstring header line was removed
and a full stop added (both are needed to meet the standard); the
docstring expanded;  comments were added and the lines with
'######################' removed.  Another point is that this may
introduce a bug.  Maybe you could try:

try:
    float(string)
except ValueError:
    # The rest of the code.

I would also suggest you use float for both sides (both entries[0] and
entries[1]) and then multiply them together.  The fixed 'b[2:len(b)]'
notation is dangerous and bug prone.  Try the string '1.2345 * 1e-18',
or maybe even '1.2345*10^18' as some people might write it.

changed_parameter_file_settings:  (partly applied)  The RELAX_DATA
variable was the only part changed.  The SEQ_DATA
change was whitespace at the end, which should not be there anyway
(note that there is trailing whitespace in most of these patches that
should not be there).  The other changes are not of use as the code
was eliminated and replaced with a call to dAuvergne_protocol.

Ok, that was an effort.  Now for the next set of patches.  Hopefully
these apply cleanly.