mailRe: Compile relax as single files for Windows, Mac and Linux

Posted by Michael Bieri on September 15, 2010 - 00:47:

Am 15.09.2010 01:28, schrieb Edward d'Auvergne:
Hi,

This seems like a great idea.  Anything to make it easier for the user
would be better.  I've installed this on my Win2k VM image and tested
it - on Mandriva 2010.0, I could not compile the bootloader image so
could not test it.  This is not a simple process and there are a few
problems:

1)  The first is automation of the process for packages.  Pyinstaller
seems to need to run python within the pyinstaller installation
directory.  The *.spec file would be better to be in the relax file
system and this should be scripted to be all self contained within
relax.  We need all of this info in the relax file structure so that
someone can take over the process in the future.

That's a bit annoying, but considering it only has to be made a couple of time, we should be able to deal with it.
2)  I've now included the relax logo graphics in the 'graphics'
directory, but on Windows I cannot use the ulysses.ico file for the
program icon.

Do you get the 'Python' icon? I had the same issue. It seems that Python has no control on the icon of programs on Windows.

3)  Another problem I have is that when launching the compiled relax
program on Windows built in this way, the program tries to access the
Internet.  I have no idea what this is doing, but relax should not be
doing this.  This is very, very suspicious behaviour :S
That's very bad! There has to be a way to block it!

4)  Running the test suite is a catastrophe.  There are 146 errors in
155 system tests, and the unit tests will not even run.

5)  The traceback messages do not have the normal relax file
structure, so we may not be able to help users with errors on these
versions.

Maybe it is more for GUI users, where messages are displayed in the controller...

The concept that the user downloads a single file without any
dependencies is a great idea for Windows users, or even all users who
would like to run it without administrator privileges.  But all these
problems will have to be sorted out before this would be of any use.

I think it would be great especially for users that don't want to install Python and all the additional modules, as it might end up with quite a mess in Windows and Mac. I still think Linux users will prefer the Python source code and just install the modules (which is simple on Linux). But for non experts, that would be a very simple way to quickly analyze relaxation data.

Cheers
Michael