mailRe: Compile relax as single files for Windows, Mac and Linux

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on September 15, 2010 - 09:24:
On 15 September 2010 00:47, Michael Bieri <michael.bieri@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 15.09.2010 01:28, schrieb Edward d'Auvergne:

Hi,

This seems like a great idea.  Anything to make it easier for the user
would be better.  I've installed this on my Win2k VM image and tested
it - on Mandriva 2010.0, I could not compile the bootloader image so
could not test it.  This is not a simple process and there are a few
problems:

1)  The first is automation of the process for packages.  Pyinstaller
seems to need to run python within the pyinstaller installation
directory.  The *.spec file would be better to be in the relax file
system and this should be scripted to be all self contained within
relax.  We need all of this info in the relax file structure so that
someone can take over the process in the future.

That's a bit annoying, but considering it only has to be made a couple of
time, we should be able to deal with it.

We would have to work out how to do this.

2)  I've now included the relax logo graphics in the 'graphics'
directory, but on Windows I cannot use the ulysses.ico file for the
program icon.

Do you get the 'Python' icon? I had the same issue. It seems that Python has
no control on the icon of programs on Windows.

Actually, the icon is some butterfly.  But it is not the relax
butterfly!  Specifying the icon or not makes no difference but,
according to the documentation, it should.

3)  Another problem I have is that when launching the compiled relax
program on Windows built in this way, the program tries to access the
Internet.  I have no idea what this is doing, but relax should not be
doing this.  This is very, very suspicious behaviour :S

That's very bad! There has to be a way to block it!

I don't think blocking is the way.  This should not happen at all.  I
noticed this as the Zonealarm firewall I'm using caught the
connection.  The binary will not run without first making this
connection?!?

4)  Running the test suite is a catastrophe.  There are 146 errors in
155 system tests, and the unit tests will not even run.

5)  The traceback messages do not have the normal relax file
structure, so we may not be able to help users with errors on these
versions.

Maybe it is more for GUI users, where messages are displayed in the
controller...

The messages in the controller will still be difficult to understand.
Just check the test suite to see what happens.

The concept that the user downloads a single file without any
dependencies is a great idea for Windows users, or even all users who
would like to run it without administrator privileges.  But all these
problems will have to be sorted out before this would be of any use.

I think it would be great especially for users that don't want to install
Python and all the additional modules, as it might end up with quite a mess
in Windows and Mac. I still think Linux users will prefer the Python source
code and just install the modules (which is simple on Linux). But for non
experts, that would be a very simple way to quickly analyze relaxation data.

This would be good.  Mac users have fink packages thanks to Jack
Howarth "howarth att bromo dot msbb dot uc dot edu" so that usage on
Macs is very easy already.  Linux users have a simple life as it is
very easy to set up Python, and even to locally install python without
root access.  So I think this would be of primary benefit to Windows
users suffering under the tyranny of lazy sys admins ;)  Maybe a
simpler way would be to make a linux virtual image that can be burnt
onto CD or booted in a virtual machine where everything is already
installed?  There are other alternatives as well
http://www.py2exe.org/.  I'm not sure if pyinstaller or py2exe can
handle relax's test suite though.

I just checked the secret internet connection again, and today it's
using a different IP address, this time in Germany :S  This is
incredibly suspicious!!  Below is more info.

[edward@localhost ~]$ whois 62.26.160.3
% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: This output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to '62.26.160.0 - 62.26.160.255'

inetnum:        62.26.160.0 - 62.26.160.255
netname:        TIS-D599992-NET
descr:          Tiscali - Office / interne Services
country:        DE
admin-c:        NET12312-RIPE
tech-c:         NET12312-RIPE
status:         ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by:         AS12312-MNT
source:         RIPE # Filtered

role:           AS12312 Network Management
address:        ecotel communication ag
address:        Hanauer Landstrasse 300
address:        60314 Frankfurt
address:        Germany
phone:          +49 69 40801 0
fax-no:         +49 69 40801 5161
abuse-mailbox:  abuse@xxxxxxxxxx
remarks:
remarks:
remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
remarks:        ---( Abuse & Spam Reports )-----------------------------
remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
remarks:
remarks:        Send mail to: .............. abuse [at] ecotel [dot] net
remarks:        Law enforcement only, send fax to: ... +49 69 40801 5260
remarks:
remarks:
remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
remarks:        ---( Network & Operational Issues )---------------------
remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
remarks:
remarks:        Send mail to: ................ noc [at] ecotel [dot] net
remarks:        Call (24/7): .......................... +49 1803 916 930
remarks:
remarks:
admin-c:        CU20-RIPE
tech-c:         CU20-RIPE
tech-c:         PW1632-RIPE
tech-c:         RN901-RIPE
nic-hdl:        NET12312-RIPE
mnt-by:         AS12312-MNT
source:         RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '62.26.0.0/15AS12312'

route:          62.26.0.0/15
descr:          ecotel communication ag
origin:         AS12312
mnt-by:         AS12312-MNT