mailRe: [task #6847] The Bieri graphical user interface.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on September 17, 2010 - 09:12:
Hi,

This is a good idea, though I think we already have something very
similar already designed ;)  If we go back to the selection screen
idea, http://gna.org/task/?6847#comment33, this was exactly the point
of the custom mode.  But instead of text, we do it all with GUI
elements.  The user functions could be either selected from the menu
or from a flat list and then a dialog can appear with every last
setting of that user function.  I was already thinking of adding
these.  Now we could have them execute, and the output appears in the
relax controller window as you suggest.  Or we could store them as a
queue of commands - i.e. in script form - and display that.  The idea
about 3D construction of an analysis, or representation of the script
(https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2010-01/msg00023.html) could
be done much later.  In this custom mode, we could have a series of
buttons at the top or left to toggle between different views in the
main canvas - user fns tree list left and script right; data store
tree representation on the left and the contents displayed on the
right; relax controller; molecular viewer via pymol; etc.

For this though, we will have to make the GUI more modular.  We will
need a concept, maybe called 'project', were either this custom mode,
or the auto-analyses (model-free, NOE, etc.) can be selected.  These
could be saved, opened, closed, etc.  Therefore we would need to
replace the current notebook design with this, maybe shifting the
relevant results tab bits into the specific menus for the
auto-analyses.  Before we do any of this, I would like to merge the
bieri_gui branch into the main line and have it published.  We can
then delete the branch, and create a new one called 'gui2'.

Oh, the idea for the prompt mode was to give the users the full power
of the prompt without much cost on the coding side.  Some people are
more comfortable in a prompt than in a GUI, as it is often faster once
you know what you are doing.  Plus it was a low cost to implement, so
why not?  Also I was thinking of adding a script mode to the GUI as
well, where you can open and edit a script, and have the 'execute
relax' button to run a pre-made script.  This would be useful for
people who extend the capabilities of relax and would like to
distribute a pre-made script to users.  I.e. the sample scripts
concept.  The script mode could share many GUI elements with the
custom mode - the user functions, the script display, etc.

This custom mode and your proposed idea could be easily merged into
one, as they are very, very similar.  What do you think?

On 17 September 2010 00:49, Michael Bieri