mailRe: CST branch

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 22, 2010 - 19:46:
Hi,

This is a good idea.  First I would suggest putting this into 2
patches, as this is easier to check and apply.  Don't worry about
breaking the code at this point - it is in your own special branch so
as long as it works in the end, you can smash it into a million pieces
and put it back together again if you like.  Commits to the repository
are better when they are many small ones, as they can be more easily
managed.  For example if something is found to be designed not
ideally, or there is a fatal bug, that patch/commit can be reverted
and then new code can be worked on.  And small patches make it much
easier for the other relax developers to read and catch potential
hidden bugs or design issues.

This is an intriguing problem, as the data flow hits a fork here.
ri_prime is the correct target for the merging of the data from all
the interactions, as this needs to occur before the calculation of the
NOE using sigma_noe and the R1.  The relaxation rates R1, R2, and
sigma_noe add.  However the NOE does not.  I just thought I'd explain
the logic for others to follow ;)

I would suggest we store ri_prime somewhere else.  What I can do is to
apply a patch for the first change to accommodate for the multiple
relaxation interactions.  Then I could make a change myself, creating
a special Python object for 'data[i]'.  We can store the ri_prime data
this special object.  Essentially, it will be like the current code
base.  We could have specific interaction data in say:

self.data[10][0].jw  (or self.data[0].jw if data = self.data[i])

This is new.  But as before we could have:

self.data[10].ri_prime (or data.ri_prime if data = self.data[i])

So the forking can all be managed within the self.data[i] data
structures.  What do you think?  Also, we will have to work out how to
modify or replace func_ri_prime and func_ri_prime_rex in the
maths_fns.ri_prime module.  This is where the merging of data streams
currently occurs.  Maybe Rex needs to be considered as its own
interaction, as this is added to produce ri_prime?

P. S.  I just talked to Kathleen Hall and she seemed very interested
in what you are doing here!